Monday, November 12, 2012

Shopping for Protein: What to look for


I tend to get a lot of questions concerning sub-categories of supplements. I figure since it is the time of year when individuals are considering returning to their health and fitness lifestyles now would be a good time to take a few weeks and explain a few more popular categories. The most popular seems to be protein, so it’s the obvious choice to start this series of articles.

 

Before we get started there are some basics everyone should follow before considering purchasing any supplement:

  1. Know what you are buying, be an informed consumer. Do some basic research and understand some of the information associated with the particular supplement.
  2. Don’t fall for flashy advertising. Most companies that are advertising heavily are spending little into quality of their products.
  3. Buy based on a need, have a reason for purchasing the product. I have heard more times than I can count when I asked “what are you using a supplement for?” I would receive the response “I don’t know, blah blah on tv said it was good” good for what? Buy for a specific reason.
  4. Don’t fall for commission-induced jargon from sales representatives. They are looking for $ in their pocket, not for you to get the best product for your money.
  5. Talk to an educated professional, they will steer you in the right direction.

 

Now to get into the specifics of protein, I’ll start with generalized information for all proteins and work into each specific type later in this article.

Here are a few tips when comparing proteins:

 

  1. Look at ingredient listing to assure the specific protein is listed as the first product.
  2. Look at how much protein is supplied per scoop, not by how much is stated on the front of the label. Many companies will state “60g whey protein” but listed on the back as a serving being 3 scoops, not one single scoop.
  3. Be sure to look at total fat, sodium, and cholesterol. The amounts of these products vary greatly from product to product.
  4. Look at weight of the product, not just the size of the container. Many companies use large containers as a way to get exposure on the shelf.
  5. If you want protein, buy just protein. Don’t buy protein with a laundry list of other ingredients. The ingredients are almost always in such small amounts they will produce no beneficial effect, they are added for the flash effect.

 

Now for a brief rundown of proteins for a specific purpose: Post-workout, meal replacement, night time.

 

Post-Workout

 

  1. Most common time for protein supplement use.
  2. Look for fast digesting/ quick absorbing protein varieties
  3. Whey concentrate, isolate. Egg albumin. Both varieties are excellent choices at this time.
  4. Be sure to add some carbohydrates to this variety as well to refuel muscle glycogen stores for future workouts.

 

Meal Replacement

 

  1. For those looking to replace or add a meal, either during a diet or to get in additional meals during a “mass phase”. Also good for those skipping breakfast due to time constraints.
  2. Look for higher calorie (300-500 calories) products.
  3. Choose products with a variety of proteins, mixtures including Whey, egg, casein. The differing digestion times will help add to a feeling of fullness for longer periods.
  4. Choose products with at least some fiber and a vitamin/mineral profile. These products are supposed to mimic a meal, make sure they contain the same nutrients as a meal would provide.
  5. Eat regular meals. DO NOT replace every meal. This will cause a cascade of health issues. If you eat 3 times per day you can replace ONE meal. If you eat 6 meals you can use TWO meal replacements.

 

Night Time

 

  1. These products are designed to feed your body nutrients throughout the night.
  2. Proteins such as Casein and Soy are excellent for this purpose. For men I would stick with casein since soy does tend to contain phytochemicals associated with hormone balancing. There are many studies stating this is no longer an issue but at this time I would still suggest avoiding soy as a supplement for a man.
  3. If some proteins tend to keep you awake due to digestion during the night try a mixture of Whey and casein. The faster digesting Whey may help to alleviate the sleep issues.

 

This is just a very general article concerning proteins, I could get into much more detail but at this time the basics should help many individuals in their decisions on this vast subject. I hope this article was an aid in your health and fitness endeavors.

 

Michael Petrinjak CFT

No comments:

Post a Comment