Even though this article goes
against my normal methods I have decided to name a few specific companies when
considering supplements to add to your regimen. My usual strategy is to educate
and empower the consumer to make their own decisions, but I am commonly asked
which companies to look out for so this article will do just that.
Protein
When considering protein there are
three main categories:
·
Pure protein(Best Choice)
·
Meal Replacements(Good replacement, not as a
protein supplement)
·
Weight Gainers(Overpriced and almost all
maltodextrin)
Pure protein supplements are the most commonly used. They
usually contain all whey protein or a small blend of egg, whey, and casein. I
almost always suggest this supplement over the other two due to its quality and
cost. After reviewing the almost infinite list of protein supplements the two
that I found to be the best quality for the price are Dymatize Elite XT and
Optimum Nutrition’s 100% Whey. Both offer great servings for the price, Elite
XT offers a mix of whey/egg/casein while the latter is a pure whey mix. I wrote
a previous article concerning to look for in your protein, I encourage you to
read it so you can pick the best protein for you.
Pre-workout
The
pre-workout market is fast becoming one of the most popular areas of sports
nutrition. If you have ever tried one you will quickly know why. Huge energy,
endurance, focus… Think of an energy drink gone scientific. Most are truly a
marvel of sports science. A short while ago the decision was easy, Jack 3D.
Recently though the supplement from geranium known as Dimethylamylamine has
come under scrutiny. The new version Jack3D micro has not impressed me, but
until I give it a fair test I won’t be including it in this article review. The
following is a list of suggested preworkout supplements (Not in any particular
order):
- Betancourt Bullnox Androrush
- Great taste, easy mixing
- Ramping style technology where the product elevates as time passes during your workout
- Testosterone support formula. Great to be used when taking other testosterone support supplements. Limit usage to 6-8 weeks.
- Cellucor C-4
- Small serving size, highly concentrated.
- Great energy, focus, and that beta alanine tingle.
- Competitive pricing to other pre-workout supplements
- Great taste
- Optimum Nutrition PRE
- Newly arrived
- Extreme potency, 1 serving usually equivalent to 2 servings of most competitors
- Great energy, focus, endurance.
- Well designed product and a great start to optimum’s advance into this market
***** Note: This is only suggestions based of personal
experience and after reviewing product information. Every individual has a
unique system and their effects from each product will differ.
Weight Loss
This is
probably the biggest and most high advertised area of supplements. Unfortunately
99% of it is complete trash. The other day I saw a commercial where a woman
claimed to lose 32 lbs in two weeks taking a supplement, it’s completely
ridiculous. There are legitimate supplements to aid in fat burning such as
L-Carnitine and CLA, but they are overshadowed by all the flashy bottles and
advertising of the next miracle drug. Though I usually skip this area of the
market, I wouldn’t be a professional if I ignored any area of my science. After
review I have found one supplement that I could suggest if asked for a weight
loss formula. That product is Muscletech’s Hydroxycut hardcore elite. It does
contain a fairly well made blend of weight loss/ fat burning supplements. Just
be wary of the caffeine content per capsule.
As I stated
earlier, I have never been one to suggest specific companies. I would much
rather educate individuals. A very dangerous thing is an informed consumer. I
wish you luck in your health and fitness goals.
Michael Petrinjak CFT
Evolve Training
Systems
No comments:
Post a Comment