As I think back over my own training history, I almost
cringe at some of the choices I have made due to misinformation and listening
to the “big guy” at the gym. On a daily basis I see and hear erroneous
information being used and tossed around in magazines, online fitness sites,
even by some trainers at gyms. Honestly, much of it is due to a lack of real
information. As a trainer, I always strive to find the scientifically qualified
strategies for a more effective health and fitness lifestyle. The following
article details a few mistakes I commonly see men and women making with their
efforts to be healthier. This is by no means a complete list, if I have missed
any I encourage you to comment below.
Common Mistakes for women
- Too much cardio: A big habit I have noticed from women is a long workout consisting of rotating from cardio equipment to cardio equipment over a 1-2 hour period. This is probably the number 1 mistake I see. This much cardio is not only a detriment, but will also impede any progress you are trying to develop. Instead keep it short, difficult, and effective. Do cardio 3-4 times per week for 15-20 minutes at a challenging pace, this will help spare your lean muscle but also will aid in giving you that toned look you are looking for.
- Too few calories: I don’t know how many times I have had a female client come in for a session and tell me “I haven’t eaten today.” I understand why this happens due to some of the companies who are marketing “diet programs” for women. Calories are not the enemy, get the junk out and eat a diet rich in whole foods. Every meal should consist of a protein, complex and simple carbohydrate source, as well as some fats. The average women should be eating 3-4 meals a day. Work with your body’s processes, not against them.
- No Weight Training: “I don’t want to bulk up” I believe I have heard this more than hundred times. If you are coming into the gym just to do cardio, you are doing it wrong, period. Not only does weight resistance training promote more fat burning than cardio, it aids in bone density, stronger connective tissue and joints, and promotes lean muscle gains. More lean mass equals more fat burning, 24 hours a day.
- Using minimal weight resistance over long rep ranges: I see this very often, pick up a 3lb dumbbell and execute a movement for 20-50 reps. Now I commend the individual for actually doing weight resistance training, but this style will not promote the best results. Best rep ranges for muscle hypertrophy(muscle growth) are usually between 8-12 reps per set, even up to 15 reps. Use an adequate amount of resistance, but never at the expense of Range of Motion(ROM) or proper technique. Trust me, you won’t get “Bulky” and the results will be apparent in a short period of time.
- Setting unrealistic goals: I blame most of this on the health and fitness industry. With the magic of programs like Photoshop individuals can just take this little pill and go from obese to ripped to shreds in just a few weeks. Many of the before and after photos for these advertisements are done on the same day, and altered through various programs to show ridiculous results. Unfortunately, this causes individuals to head to fitness centers with wild ideas of huge results in just a few weeks. It doesn’t happen that way. It is never a sprint, but more like a marathon. Make smaller, attainable goals each month. For example, try to reduce your body fat 2-3% over the next 4 weeks, or make a goal to add a few more levels of difficulty to the cardio equipment. Small goals over a longer period equal results, plus the smaller, more frequent rewards of success will keep you hungry and focused to achieve over the upcoming months.
- Getting into a rut: I think we all have done this, build a training program and do the same exercises with the same weights over years and years. Your results come from surprising the system and forcing it to react. Write down your weights for each exercise, evaluate how you do each day and make adjustments based on how you feel. Switch up exercises every few months. The changes will keep things fresh and will help avoid the drudgery of the same workout.
Common Mistakes for Men
- Too Little/ No Cardio: To most guys cardio is a drudgery that will take a back seat to weight training any day. If you want the best results possible, it must be added to some extent to your program. If you are an ectomorph trying to gain mass may be the only exception to the rule. Hit your workout first, and then toss in 15 minutes of high difficulty cardio 3 days a week.
- Too many Calories: I don’t know how many times I have watched a guy work his way through a 1 hour plus workout only to tell his friend how he’s hitting up some beer and wings later because they are “Bulking Up”. There are guys that constantly complain to me about not seeing results even though they are working out all the time. If you are skipping the scientifically designed diet program to go along with your training, you’re doing it wrong. High calories does not equal big results, great meal selection does. If you are training to gain and you want a “cheat meal” have ONE meal preferably after working your legs. Do not have a cheat day and cheat weekend.
- Ego Training: This is probably the number one issue for guys. Many want to show off and impress other gym goers by pushing huge amounts of weight on everything they do. If you are throwing away proper technique and range of motion, you’re doing it wrong. If you want results hit weights you can handle at a steady speed, and reach a full stretch at which the muscle trained has to fully contract to return to its starting position. Results don’t come from just pushing weight through half of the motion, but in having to control that weight through the ENTIRE movement. Plus this will allow for better connective tissue durability, resulting in less injuries and more time in the gym doing what you love.
- Making unrealistic goals: So many guys see the mass monsters in the magazines and always want those kinds of results fast. It never happens fast, those men have trained hard, and eat perfect for years to get where they are at. Make small goals, like 10 more lbs on the bench press, or drop a few percent body fat over the next month. Those little goals will add up and big results will happen due to the time and effort you put in.
- Getting into a rut: I have trained at the same gym for over 10 years now. My training programs have changed more times than I can count, and I always keep progressing. There are men at the gym that I have known as long as I have been a member there, and they look exactly like they did the first day I stepped into the door. They are doing the same weights, same routine. Your body will not react unless there is something new to react to. Every couple months try something new, shock the system, force it to adapt to the new stimulus. Keep your program evolving and you will see the changes.
I hope that I was able to cover
the most common issues in this short article. I know there are many more and I
encourage anyone to comment below on any that I have missed. I hope this
information aids in your health and fitness goals!
Michael
Petrinjak, CFT
Evolve
Training Systems
No comments:
Post a Comment